Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Summer and History

I thoroughly enjoyed all the presentations this summer. Anthony always brings a great energy with him and lots of great ideas. And a wow to all the insight and info we received from Sharon. Fran shared some great books. Jay went to our librarian when we got back to school and gave her a list of books.

For the first day of school, I shared with students my hero and had them write about one of theirs. For Back to School Night, I asked parents to share with their child one of their heros. Whenever I have a free moment, I grab the Heros book and read about a hero. So a big thank you to Dennis for sharing his book.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, I like your ideas of how to incorporate your learning about heroes with the students and their parents. My favorite part of the summer was Dr.Denenberg, but yes, Anthony does always bring such an exciting flare to our learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I like that you started your first day of "getting to know you" activities with Hero Studies. I think that who one chooses as a hero really reveals a lot about what is important to him or her. I studies Eleanor Roosevelt during the week of her birthday. Brainpop.com has a great quick video, just in case you're interested. :) I am not sure how to structure year-long hero lessons. I'd like to provide opportunities for research, but we have limited time in the computer lab...hhhmmm. Keep thinking about it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete